Sunday, September 4, 2011

OFF TO DISNEYLAND... (AND A WORD ABOUT BARRY ALLEN)

I'm taking my son to the Magic Kingdom for a day of awesome. But before I go, I wanted to post this amazing piece of artwork from The Flash.




I also wanted to address the whole SINGLE BARRY issue. For the record, making Barry single was a creative choice that Francis and I made. There wasn't any pressure from up high, and there is no DC-wide mandate to abolish marriages. We didn't even know Clark and Lois were going to be single at the time we made this choice (over 6 months ago). We even had to ask permission from the bigwigs... and clearly they totally supported our choice.

Also, I'm not sure that it's been stated, but ALL of the DC characters have been de-aged and are in their twenties. So we decided to make him single because he is a younger Barry and this is a fresh angle to draw from... with a lot of interesting (for us) places to go. I know this flies in the face of those that identified with Barry as a married man for 40+ years... and I'm sorry if that turns anyone off to the extent that they won't even give our book a shot. But I'm not sorry about the choice we made. We like what we are doing and we think the fans will too.

Will Barry fall in love? Yes. Will he end up with someone? Yes. Will it be Iris or Patty or Lois? Maybe. :)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, and a shout out to CASEY JOHNSON, whose conversation of facebook this morning inspired me to write this quick post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it makes sense in that it takes every character back to the old-school love triangles of identity/secret identity/love interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully its safe in assuming that you and Francis actually plan to developing Barry as a person and leading into his inevitable relationship with Iris, but why Patty?

    DC has entirely cleared the slate with Barry so why choose Patty Spivot, who's recent established personality was that of a fearful, tired and slightly Barry Allen obsessed woman, over an original character or Daphne Dean or even Fiona Webb? Just curious as to why Patty was chosen when there are other women in his past. The angry conspiracy theorist fan in me wants to believe that you and editorial don't want to remind anyone of these women out of fear they may compete with Iris. But don't judge me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is one thing I would be quite happy to never see in another superhero comic book ever again, it's the fake love triangle between real id/love interest/superhero id. There is nothing in the entire genre more played out than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well after being directed to this blog from a forum I am very impressed. Of course I felt unease at having unproven writers on my fave character but after reading your blog and your opinions on Barry I am DYING TO READ THIS! Your honesty and frankness serve you well. I wouldn't want it any other way.

    I just wish Flash was coming out at the beginning of the month instead of the end. Thanks for the refreshing read and your page is now bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And one more thing that is literally one of the best images of the Flash ever. Great job on the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Gerald! I'm glad that this blog has put you more at ease (at least temporarily). And MAN do I wish we came out sooner I'm getting antsy over here. :)

    Yeah, I'm really happy with how the colors turned out. But as I always say... from an art perspective Francis does all the heavy lifting and I just try not to screw it up. :D

    Oh, and just to give you a little inside info.. While that image is a splash from our book, it's NOT from issue #1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa...that image has the potential to be one of the most iconic Flash images in the modern era. I hope we're going to see it sooner rather than later? Maybe you guys should just ship bi-monthly the first 3 months. ;)

    You're sitting in the catbird seat knowing you got something awesome coming out and we all just have to wait and see...

    ReplyDelete